You’ve got an important decision to make when you cast your ballot this November.
I’m not talking about the presidential election (because I’m sure by now, you’ve already dropped your absentee ballot at the clerk’s office or made a plan to vote on Election Day).
Instead, we need to talk about another important vote. This one takes place at the Impact100 Oakland County Annual Grant Awards Ceremony on November 12.
This year, Impact100 Oakland County will give $85,000 grants to three nonprofits in our community. The five finalists – one from each of our five focus areas – were recently revealed at our Meet the Finalist event:
- DAPCEP (Detroit Area Pre-College Engineering Program) (Education)
- Families Against Narcotics (Health & Wellness)
- InsideOut Literary Arts (Arts & Culture)
- Oakland Livingston Human Service Agency (OLHSA) (Family)
- Stage Nature Center (Environment)
Grants are awarded based on a vote of the Impact100 Oakland County membership. Every member votes by ranking their choices, one through five. The top three will receive an $85,000 grant.
Before casting your ballot, here are some things you can do to prepare and make sure your vote counts:
Do your research.
- Read the executive summaries of each nonprofit’s program, sent to members via email.
- Take a look at the nonprofits’ websites and social media channels.
- Check out each nonprofit’s credibility on Charity Navigator and GuideStar.
Attend the November 12 Annual Awards Ceremony.
- This year’s event will be held remotely, so be sure you have the link and log in at 7 p.m.
- Each of the five finalists will make a five-minute presentation about its project and the impact on our community.
Cast your vote.
- Voting will be done electronically, during the event or absentee, via OpaVote secure online voting platform. Look for an email sent directly to you from “Opa Vote.”
- Your $1,000 donation gets you a vote, so make sure you place it!
Written by Meredith Meyer – Impact100 Oakland County Member & External Communications Volunteer